Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Cops Nearly Arrest me for Stealing Money



So this is what happened...I have a weakness. I hope by sharing it on my blog I'll overcome it. I got caught stealing money from my roommate and he called the cops on me. They drove over to our apartment, cuffed me and started reading me my Miranda Rights! I didn't care they were arresting me. Finders keepers is what I always say...


If you're reading this, you, like all of us, (me included) are drawn in by the provacative and slanderous. Whenever we hear something outrageous about someone, we want to know the dirty little secret as well. However, it's not just the personal lives of our friends that intrigues us. This desire to know extends to impersonal associations with celebrities and gov't officials!


What is it about gossip that draws us in? Why do we like to read it, hear it, or share it with others? All of us at some point in our lives have shared or passed gossip along in one way or another. Many times we do it in the name of "helping the individual," when in reality our motive is less than altruistic. The question remains: Why do we like gossip?


Perhaps we like to find faults in others because then we don't feel so bad about our own weaknesses. Or in others words we are living the "Jerry Springer Theory." The Jerry Springer Theory states, "You have at some point watched Jerry Springer or a similar show and said to yourself, 'I may have problems but they are now where near as bad as their problems!'" Thus you feel a little bit better about your own faults and weaknesses.


Does this really justify your own weaknesses? Of course not, but we somehow convince ourselves that if Chris has a problem stealing, or Mary, the good christian, has a secret drug addiction problem, we must be ok people. We should instead gauge our own behavior by our own Moral Barometer and what we know to be true.


Instead of looking for, reading or sharing the dirty little secrets of our friends, family, and neighbors, we should look for the good in them. Tell them we love them, and help them through their trials.


Who knows...by helping others you may in turn find the strength to overcome your own weaknesses. :)


No mom, I didn't really steal from my roommate. :) -- For my Facebook friends: If you enjoyed reading this let me know by clicking on "View Original Post" at the bottom.


2 comments:

Amber and Mike said...

Nice post. I enjoyed reading your view of how we should treat others when finding out about their faults. It's so true. And, I also agree that we should only compare ourselves with no one other than ourselves.

michelle manning said...

Thanks Chris. I was just thinking this morning about how I need to evaluate my purpose before speaking.

Post a Comment